Beans, beans the magical fruit! The more you eat, the more you... eat!
If you use this recipe that is. We stopped by our favorite weekend canning spot to learn the basics of canning Dilly Beans.
Here's what you'll need if you want to follow along with us:
CANNING SUPPLY LIST
- 16oz jars, lids and rings
- Water bath canner and rack. (21-qt. covered pot)
- Jar lifter or rubber tongs.
- 2 lbs beans
- 1/4th cup salt
- 4 leads dill
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground mustard
2 ½ cup vinegar
2 ½ cup water
- Sterilize the glass jars you plan to use before you get started by boiling them, do the same for the lids and the rims. Set aside to cool/dry.
Pack beans lengthwise into hot jars (you can heat them on the oven rack).
Add ¼ teaspoon cayenne and ground mustard to each jar.
Add 1-2 cloves a garlic, a pinch of fresh dill and other spices to your taste preferences.
Boil vinegar, salt and H20 together.
Pour boiling vinegar water over beans in their jars.
Remove air bubbles from jar.
Transfer hot jars back to boiling water for a 10 min H20 bath to seal.
Listen for the delightful popping sound as they seal themselves for your enjoyment later.